Friday, January 11, 2013

Cardio... Before or After Ashtanga?

I had an internal debate about whether I would continue working out with TurboFire while practicing Ashtanga. However, I think I'm going to continue as I'm going now. I've learned that if I start my Ashtanga practice AFTER my TurboFire practice my legs aren't as tight and I'm not sore the next day (unless I use muscles that aren't stretched in my Ashtanga practice).

It's quite exhilarating to workout and then practice. My body is warmed up and my muscles aren't stiff. I feel like I get a deeper stretch and my muscles aren't battling against me. However, I'm not sure I'll keep up the routine once I start getting up early for practice.

I reckon, if I wanted I could get up early and workout and THEN practice but I'm not sure how well that would work. I could definitely get my shower in before practice if that were the case though. Mostly because I'm sweating buckets after my TurboFire workout. I dripped all over my mat today after working out.

I've also been continuing my exploration of the Sutras, as well as, Teaching Yoga. I'm prepping for my teacher training that begins on Feb 1. I'm getting excited/nervous about it. I feel as if my postures aren't where they should be but I can't back out now because I'd lose my money. The best thing I can do is go into the training (which is over 4 months) and work on my postures, while also diving into the history and applications of teaching.

I haven't really dove too deep into the Teaching Yoga book but I'm getting there slowly. Lots of good information. One of my goals for this year is to start adding a 10-20 minute mediation at the end of my practice.. if not meditation then at least a reflection. For some reason, I think I remember reading that meditation shouldn't be practiced before asana is mastered and then pranayama shouldn't be practiced until meditation is mastered... or maybe I've got pranayama and meditation backwards. I need to read again what I read before concerning pranayama and meditation. I think I read about it in both Pranayama by Maehle and also Light on Yoga by BKS Iyengar.

Alas, more on my progress later :).

No comments:

Post a Comment