Saturday, January 12, 2013

Vegan or Vegetarian?

I'm going through an internal debate as of late about whether to go straight vegan (plant based diet) or just being a vegetarian. This is a hard decision for me to make because my family is pretty devout on the meat eating. Heck my father-in-law basically said that going vegan/vegetarian is retarded (basically in a nut shell).

It's hard to consider any real change to a lifestyle when everyone around you makes you feel like it's the worst choice you could ever make. I say everyone but really mean nine out of ten folks. It also doesn't help that I live in a rural area and our grocery stores don't exactly get the best quality produce, or much produce at all for that matter.

Hopefully, next year I'll have a garden (maybe depending on circumstances) that way I can grow my own veggies to have an ample supply for my feasting. Fresh veggies are definitely more delectable than store bought.

The hardest thing for me to give up, I think, will be cheese and most definitely Potato Soup. I L-O-V-E POTATO SOUP!!! However, it has butter, milk, sour cream, and topped with cheese... therefore not exactly vegan friendly.

I'll be slowly removing things from my diet until I'm satisfied. Right now I've cut out meats (all but fish at least) and milk... I am hoping to gradually step forward and remove something else. Not sure what yet though.

What are your experiences with either being or becoming vegan/vegetarian? I could sure use some insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment